With the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup coming up, check out the Black & Gold's history through 21 competitions — including 2002's iconic trophy-raising run:
- Columbus' 2002 championship-winning campaign marked the sixth time an MLS team won the U.S. Open Cup, which at 106 years stands as the nation's longest on-going soccer competition
- The Crew have played the seventh-most Open Cup games amongst MLS teams (43)
- Columbus’ 88 goals scored marks the sixth-most amongst MLS teams, while the Crew’s plus-24 goal differential is the sixth-best amongst MLS teams
- Eleven times the Black & Gold have faced tier-two teams (USL First Division; A-League; USSF D-II; North American Soccer League), earning eight wins
- All three losses against tier-two teams came away from MAPFRE Stadium
- At home overall, the Crew are 13-8 in Open Cup play
- Columbus is 5-0 at home against tier-two teams
- In Open Cup openers specifically, Black & Gold are 7-2 all-time against tier-two teams
- Against USL Championship teams, such as Riverhounds SC, the Crew are 1-2 all-time
- The Crew are 3-6 in Fourth Round matches since 2003. Since then, all Fourth-Round wins have come against tier-two teams, with five of the six losses coming against MLS opponents
- Columbus holds a plus-12 goal differential against tier-two teams in Open Cup play
- With two wins, the Black & Gold can advance to the Open Cup quarterfinals for the first time since 2010
All 2019 Crew SC Season Ticket Members receive tickets to all Crew SC U.S. Open Cup home matches through the quarterfinals as part of their memberships.
The winner of the U.S. Open Cup qualifies directly for the Concacaf Champions League with a chance to qualify for the FIFA Club World Cup against world-powers and other regional champions.