Venue: MAPFRE Stadium (Columbus, OH)
Referee: Silviu Petrescu
Assistants: Jason White, Craig Lowry
Fourth Official: Sorin Stoica
Weather: 72 degrees and clear
POR – Dairon Asprilla (Sebastian Blanco) 4’
CLB – Justin Meram (unassisted) 11’
CLB – Ola Kamara (Federico Higuain) 19’
POR – Fanendo Adi (Alvas Powell) 45+3’
CLB – Niko Hansen (unassisted) 85’
POR – Diego Chara (caution) 25’
CLB – Wil Trapp (caution) 26’
CLB – Artur (caution) 63’
POR – Sebastian Blanco (caution) 69’
POR – Diego Valeri (caution) 70’
Columbus Crew SC: Zack Steffen; Harrison Afful, Jonathan Mensah (Alex Crognale 73’), Nico Naess, Waylon Francis; Wil Trapp ©, Artur; Ethan Finlay; Federico Higuain, Justin Meram (Niko Hansen 60’); Ola Kamara (Adam Jahn 89’)
Substitutes not used:Brad Stuver, Hector Jimenez, Connor Maloney, Mohammed Abu
Portland Timbers: Jake Gleeson; Alvas Powell, Lawrence Olum, Roy Miller, Zarek Valentin (Jack Barmby 86’); Amobi Okugo, Diego Chara; Dairon Asprilla (Darren Mattocks 71’), Diego Valeri, Sebastian Blanco; Fanendo Adi.
Substitutes not used: Jeff Attinella, Chance Myers, Ben Zemanski, Jeremy Ebobisse, Marco Farfan
- Forward Ola Kamara tallied his third goal of the season and his 19th goal for Crew SC in 24 appearances (29 starts) by scoring the second goal in tonight’s match. The forward has now scored three goals in three consecutive matches for Crew SC after previously scoring against Houston (March 11) and D.C. (March 18). He has made three appearances (all starts) this season.
- Midfielder Justin Meram scored his first goal of the season and his 25th career goal for Crew SC. With the goal, Justin Meram becomes one of only seven players to have tallied 25 goals and 25 assists or more in regular-season action. Meram joins former Black & Gold players Jeff Cunningham (64 goals, 44 assists), Brian McBride (62 goals, 45 assists), Eddie Gaven (35 goals, 25 assists) and Guillermo Schelotto (33 goals, 41 assists), as well as current teammates Federico Higuain (40 goals, 35 assists) and Ethan Finlay (30 goals, 29 assists).
- Defender Waylon Francis made his 2017 MLS season debut in tonight’s match. It was the Costa Rican’s 72nd MLS appearance (66th start) for Crew SC and his first appearance for the club since coming on as a substitute against Vancouver Whitecaps FC on September 10, 2016. Francis last made a starting appearance for the Black & Gold against New York City FC on August 13, 2016.
- Crew SC rookie Niko Hansen scored the game-winning goal in tonight’s match in a substitute appearance. In doing so, he became one of only ten players in club history to score in his MLS debut. The midfielder came on as a substitute for Justin Meram in the 60th minute. Hansen was selected in the First Round (Ninth overall) of the 2017 MLS SuperDraft by the Black & Gold on January 13, 2017.
- Federico Higuain notched his first assist of the season and 36th career assist for Crew SC in 127 appearances (122 starts). In 2017, he has played every minute of every match for the Black & Gold.
- Crew SC earned its second victory of the 2017 MLS season and the club’s second consecutive victory of the regular season. The Black & Gold’s last two consecutive regular-season victories came on September 17, 2016 against Orlando City SC (4-1) and on September 25, 2016 against New England Revolution ( ).
- Tonight’s match marked the eighth all-time regular-season meeting between the Black & Gold and Portland. With the win, Crew SC’s all-time regular-season record against Portland is now 3-3-2.